Sunday 15 July 2012

Brave's additional character voices, and a real-life Merida

Taggart star Alex Norton and wife star in two Caledonian classics

Animated epic Brave is the biggest movie to hit Scotland since Braveheart. And acting couple Alex Norton and wife Sally Kinghorn should know – because they are the only two stars to work on both Mel Gibson’s action blockbuster and Disney Pixar’s eagerly awaited smash hit.

Taggart legend Alex played William Wallace’s father-in-law in Braveheart while Sally, one of Scotland’s busiest voiceover actors, provided the background cheers and comments for crowd scenes in the historic drama.

The pair can also be heard in Brave, which premièred in Edinburgh last week and tells the story of flame-haired, feisty princess Merida.

Sally, who has done voices in the Harry Potter films, Shakespeare In Love and Burke And Hare, plays Maudie, the maid who spends the entire movie chasing Merida’s triplet brothers around the castle.

Alex – who is also in the new series of BBC drama Waterloo Road – is part of the team singing a song on the Disney soundtrack recorded by his composer friend Patrick Doyle.

The couple are delighted to have been involved in the project.

Sally said: “I work on a lot of post-production sound on film and television and they called up to ask if I would do a session for a film, which I was told was the latest Pixar film and was all about Scotland.

"We got to see the visuals while we were recording and it looks amazing.

“It was great fun. The Pixar guys all came over and they were so inspiring and full of life.

“They were really enthusiastic about Scotland. It was a real pleasure to work with them.

“Alex was involved as well and we all thoroughly enjoyed it.”

The cheeky triplets of Hamish, Hubert and Harris are set to be the break-out stars of the film and Sally enjoyed being part of their scenes as Maudie tries to keep them from getting into mischief.

Sally, who shares duties for the part with fellow Scots actress Eilidh Fraser, said: “It was great to be involved because Maudie’s scenes with the triplets were great fun to watch.

“We’ve got three boys but Maudie deals with the triplets differently as she has to be more diplomatic in looking after them and not losing the rag.

“The work that goes into these things is beyond imagining. The Scottish landscape looks beautiful and the film really gives it heart and soul.

“The cast are great. I’ve known Robbie Coltrane for years.”

Alex got involved in Brave when his pal Patrick hired him to help sing Song of Mor’du for the movie’s CD.

Alex said: “Pat is one of my oldest and dearest pals. He called me and said he was recording the soundtrack for Brave and asked if I wanted to sing on it. I said, ‘Are you kidding?’

“He wanted a big, rough, Scottish, hairy-a***d voice for the Song of Mor’du.

Billy Connolly sings the verse and we all join in the chorus – it’s fantastic to be involved. The Pixar people were lovely. They were asking for suggestions for Scottish phrases and sayings and couthy words.

“It was so refreshing to work with people who were so into what they were doing – they care about every single detail.

“It was a delight to work with them. I was only minimally involved but just to be part of it is a great thing.

“It’s going to be a fantastic film for Scotland.”



Our little princess on dream night

Our real-life Merida, Caitlyn Boyd, yesterday looked back at a dream week when she shared the red carpet with stars of the Disney Pixar epic.

The flame-haired schoolgirl, 15, who won the Sunday Mail’s Merida lookalike competition, is still on cloud nine after meeting Kelly Macdonald, who voices Merida.

Caitlyn, from Brechin, Angus, who turned out at the European première in Edinburgh dressed as the Brave heroine, said: “It was the best night of my life. I was over the moon when I heard I had won the competition but I had no idea I would be walking down the red carpet with all the stars.

“I was speechless when Kelly Macdonald came over to me and told me how fab I looked. To be photographed with her was just amazing. I felt like a real star.”

Caitlyn, who has been acting and dancing since she was four, is more determined than ever to pursue a career on the stage.

The Mearns Academy pupil said: “I’ve always wanted to be an actress but being at the Brave premiere has given me a real taste for it.

“I want to get an agent so that, when I finish school, I can get started.”

Caitlyn gave the movie – which hits screens here on August 17 – 10 out of 10.

She said: “It’s fantastic. The animation is out of this world and Merida is a brilliant leading lady. It’s a real mix of action and wit.”

Source (both stories): Daily Record


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails