Saturday 26 July 2008

Comic-Con highlights

The RocknRolla panel started with the film's US trailer which you can watch below:

ROCKNROLLA


I also found an article from Spout Blog about the RocknRolla panel that took place on Thursday:

Gerard Butler and Guy Ritchie from RocknRolla, "Korean music sensation" Rain from Ninja Assassin, and producer Joel Silver present Dark Castle's theatrical and direct-to-DVD slate.

The suddenly massive contingent of preteen female Comic-Con attendees swooned at the sight of Korean pop star/Ninja Assassin star Rain, and 300/RocknRolla hunk Gerard Butler, at Joel Silver’s Dark Castle Entertainment presentation. Jeremy Piven threatened to take his shirt off. Crickets.

Highlights:

–Dark Castle is investing in a bunch of direct-to-DVD sequels of moderate horror hits; judging by the reaction to The Hills Run Red, no one cares.
–”Korean music video sensation” Rain is a legitimate sensation. At least with the girls who were just still a little turned on from Twilight. Boys hold their hardons for “Gerry” Butler.

–Asking Joel Silver, Jeremy Piven and/or Guy Ritchie for words of encouragement is just about the biggest faux pas you can make as an attendee in Hall H.

–Joel Silver reveals the ten-words-or-less pitch that landed financing for Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes movie.
–Madonna and Guy Ritchie’s relationship was solid enough during filming of RocknRolla that she was tasked with shooting syringes into Gerard Butler’s ass.

Full live blog transcript after the jump.

6:39 - Q: Gerard, what’s your favorite memory from being on set?

A: “Well, nothing more than getting a shot of B12 from his [Guy Ritchie's] wife Madonna. She was basically like the nurse, she came in and was all ‘drop your pants!’ and she stuck me in the ass.”

6:38 - Q: “Gerard, did you get to improv much on the movie?”

A: (from Guy Ritchie) “Nope! I wouldn’t allow it!”

The other panelists are begging Gerry to take his shirt off… it’s like an Elvis concert down there in the front

6:37 - Q: “For Gerard Butler, you’ve done a lot of different roles, what are you looking to get into next?”

A: Halle Berry.

6:33 - Ludacris is talking. Zzz.

6:31 - “Rocknrolla is better than sex!” — Gerard Butler

6:30 - Piven is overwhelmed by everyone’s dedication, “I celebrate every one of you! I’m in a service position, and I salute every one of you.”

Someone nearby “Did he just offer to service the audience?!”

Piven is out of chocolate and promises to take his shirt off. Yikes.

6:29 - Someone asks Guy Ritchie about the Sherlock Holmes movie, which is in preproduction now. “Is it happening?” “Yes!” It has a contemporary spin on it, and of course Robert Downey Jr. in it.

Joel Silver: “It’s like James Bond in 1891!”

6:27 - “How do you prepare for these roles?”

“Well, I get out of bed, I take a shower (sometimes), and I just go to work. You know, I sort of feel weird talking about this, because when I hear other people talking about their method, I sort of just say ‘Oh, shut up.” You just do it. Man, I sound like an American saying that. I’ve done it now.”

6:26 - Wow, someone mentioned Phantom of the Opera, and the girl groupies go nuts yet again.

6:25 - Butler wants to know, “DId you like the trailer we showed? Well make some fuckin’ noise then!” Next question: “How do you think people will react to this film? You have such a varied cast.”

Butler: “Well, we have a cool group of guys and girls. You lick your lips for this and sit back and go ‘Yeah!’ It defines cool.”

Pause. “Well, the licking the lips thing was a little homosexual. But you get my point.”

6:24 - Piven is talking about how he saw Lock Stock “with his good buddy Peter Berg” (cue the namedrop) and that his ‘77 Bronco broke down on the way from seeing it. Rough roots, rough toots. Piven wanted his role to be different than the character he plays in Entourage. It turned out to be easy because Ritchie had never even seen Entourage.
6:23 - People don’t really know this, but the Comic-Con panelists get little chocolates on their table, and Butler has started tossing them out to the girl groupies. They are going nuts for it.

6:22 - Butler is talking about how much he wanted to work with Guy Ritchie after seeing Lock Stock and Snatch… oddly enough he doesn’t mention Swept Away.

6:20 - Holy trainwreck, Batman. A woman who is clearly on in years is making her “own movie” and she talks about casting and executive producing and writing and directing, and she dramatically says “For the love of god, please tell me that filmmaking gets easier as you you get more experience!” Everyone on stage is bewildered.

Literally. And then everyone passes on answering the question.

FInally Joel Silver leans over and says “No, it never gets easier.”

6:19 - “TAKE IT OFF” one girl screams. “You’re funny,” he says.

6:17 - Here come the onslaught of questions for “Gerry.” “Thank you SO much for being here. I get the feeling that you really enjoyed making movies like this. Do you keep planning on making good storytelling movies?” I mean, honestly, you drive all this way, get up there, and ask that? Butler namedrops 300, and people go nuts.

Next up: “All of your roles have been physical, do you like those kinds of roles? Was this movie like that?”

“Not at all, this wasn’t nearly as physical as 300. It was easy, and I looked forward to going to work every day. I got sick making this movie, that was challenging.” In response to that, a gaggle of his girlfans down front swoon and go “Awwwwwwwww.”

6:16 - Guy Ritchie calls this a “Spillover from Lock Stock and Snatch.” It’s a “look into the underbelly of the subculture” in London

6:15 - They trot out Susan Downey, Ludacris (I can’t call him Chris Bridges), Jeremy Piven, “Gerry” Butler, and Guy Ritchie. Joel Silver jokes that “No one knows who Susan Downey is… she runs my company so I had this card made for her.” He whips out a namecard that says “Mrs. Tony Stark” on it.. Does this mean they’re having sex? Ew, Mr. Silver.

6:13 - It looks like Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Part 2. But Chris “Ludacris” Bridges actually looks fairly decent in this. Color me shocked.

6:12 - What keeps throwing me is Jeremy Piven in this thing, and I couldn’t stand him in Smokin’ Aces. Do we really need him in another movie

6:11 - RocknRolla trailer rolls. “What’s a Rocknrolla? We want it all.” It’s The New School vs. The Wild Bunch, Gerard Butler is part of The Wild Bunch.

6:10 - Now it’s RocknRolla time.

6:08 - Last question is surprisingly for Naomi, and someone wanted to know if she’d like to play the character of Selena again. “I’d LOVE to” she says. Apparently she and Cillian Murphy were supposed to be in 28 Weeks Later, but obviously they weren’t. “I’m waiting on the third movie so I can play her again!

6:04 - Zzzzzzz. Everyone around me is falling asleep (the Rain gaggle is all up front) while waiting on Gerard Butler.


Source: Spout Blog via ONTD!, Gerard Buter dot Net, MySpace

6 comments:

  1. Sigh... sometimes I really MISS living in California ! (I saw Gerry in person, did I ever tell you that ~!)

    Anyway, I hope this film won't be so 'out there' that my 'mainstream' theater won't get to show it --- I need something to look forward to, with 'WANTED' having it's last day this Thursday!

    PS - Did you see 'Dark Knight' ? (If you've already said - I'm sorry - I'm a bit wonky-sleepy at the moment~) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait you've met Gerry in person?! Details please!

    I finally saw Dark Knight on Saturday. And it completely blew me away. I expected Heath to be amazing which he was, but I thought the whole cast did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) - When we lived in Cali - Saw him on Jay Leno, Spring '05 - and my daughter got him to autograph her 'Phantom' Mask (from his Limo, leaving the parking lot).

    Then we tried to see him on the Craig Ferguson show not long after that, but the show's staffers contrived not to let any Gerry fans get tickets - when Gerry heard about it, he came outside after the show and talked to the fans for about an hour (there used to be a video clip of this event on GerardButler.net may be still there) - it was a mad crush, but I did manage to squeeze in and get a HUG ! His eyes are incredible, and he is so sincerely delighted with all his fans! Hope you get the chance someday!

    -------------
    "Ditto" for Dark Knight - I also enjoyed seeing Cillian Murphy back, I think it was 'hinted' that he may be in the next one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is so sweet of him to see his fans and give your daughter an autograph. You are so lucky, I'm a little jealous! Were you nervous when you met him? I would have been so scared.

    I hope Cillian is in the next movie. He's so lovely. It's interesting how the entire city of Gotham is so darn good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't say 'met' - it was more of a 'being in his presence' kind of thing... and yes, of course, we were both (daughter and I) shaking like leaves! The thing I remember most though, was such a feeling of satisfaction, to be able to see for myself that he truly IS deserving of all the fan adoration, both for his physical attributes and for the wonderful, good-hearted person he is.
    -----------
    That's funny - :-) - We are also Gary Olman fans around here, and thought he did a great job too. And yes, I'd love to see Cillian back in Batman III, and also get a nice movie roll of his own, one not in the horror genre!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "he truly IS deserving of all the fan adoration, both for his physical attributes and for the wonderful, good-hearted person he is."

    He really does seem like a really nice guy. I don't know what it is about actors from Scotland (and Wales too), but they seem to be very humble, genuine people.

    I'm a Gary Oldman fan too! I think Cillian is going to be in a period drama this year with Keira Knightly about the life of Dylan Thomas.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails