Tuesday 12 July 2011

Call me Doctor: John Barrowman receives honorary drama degree



The Scottish/American actor went from Doctor Who to Doctor of Drama at Glasgow’s RSAMD

Scottish stage and screen star John Barrowman was awarded an honorary Doctor of Drama degree by the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama on 5 July.

The Glasgow-born Desperate Housewives and Doctor Who star was presented with the accolade in the city, and said that he was delighted to finally be called Dr Barrowman.

“What’s really interesting is that 21 years ago I actually did my first audition for Anything Goes in 1989 here opposite Elaine Paige, got the job and wasn’t able to finish my degree, which I was coming over to the UK to get. And here I am 21 years later, I’ve finally got it,” the star told STV, before adding: “You can call me Doctor now!”

The actor continued: “I’m really honoured, I’m really chuffed and I’m glad I’m back up in Scotland and able to celebrate in full highland dress, and celebrate my heritage and get my degree up here."

The singer, actor and musical theatre star can be seen back on TV screens next week when the fourth series of Torchwood kicks off on July 14.

John is also making a welcome return to Glasgow this Christmas alongside The Krankies in the panto Robinson Crusoe and the Caribbean Pirates at the city’s SECC.

And it looks like the star, who relocated to the USA as a child, will also be spending some time back in his home country passing on his wisdom to the country’s up-and-coming actors.

“I slogged my guts out for 21 years and I did three-and-a-half years of school and didn’t finish my degree, so I think I did my groundwork [to gain the honorary degree]. And hopefully I can come to The Academy - or as it’s going to be called next year The Conservatoire - and I’m going to come give some master-classes.”

Source (includes video interview with John): STV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails