Wednesday 8 September 2010

Ewan McGregor talks 'Beginners'


The LA Times has a fascinating write-up about indie drama Beginners, which debuts at the Toronto International Film Festival this week. The profile focuses more on writer-director Mike Mills and the semi-autobiographical nature of the film, but there are a few quotes from Ewan McGregor as well:

McGregor described Mills as "the director I've been looking for for a long time," no minor statement from an actor who has worked with, among others, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, George Lucas and Michael Bay. McGregor likened his working relationship with Mills to the one he had early in his career with Danny Boyle, when they made three films together.

"I tried to get a flavor of him, but he never really wanted me to play him," said McGregor from London of the challenge of taking on Mills' role in the filmmaker's own story. "And I did in the end do a kind of version of Mike, there's some physical things I suppose that come from him, but there's something more. What I tried to capture, which I hope I did, is his spirit. He's quite a sensitive, interesting man." [Mark Olsen]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails